Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 03:05:17 +0100

Andrey Tykhonov <atykhonov@gmail.com> writes:

> First of all because it is small enough, in my
> opinion, to be a major mode.  It contains in itself
> only three key bindings. So I decided that minor mode
> will be appropriate.

First of all, this project seems to be an absolute
*killer*! M-a-r-v-e-l-o-u-s!

As for major mode or not, I don't see why this should
not be a major mode. Weather it should be a major mode
or a minor mode is not a function of the project's
size, but *character*. Why don't make a whole interface
around this tool with one-key strokes? I.e., not `C-x
p' or the like for previous question, but simply
`p'. If you want this module to be reached from other
modes, you can have that *interface* a minor mode,
because this module truly reaches over the entire span
of computer activity.

Some other thoughts:

I can't stand web browsers for a thousand real and
imagined reasons, but there is no denying the human
"weight" does make the web indispensable.

Gnus and Usenet, for example, should be a hundred times
better than the hysterical SX sites, but because of
the popularity of those sites, and the marginalization
of lots of Usenet newsgroups (or Google groups, now),
it doesn't matter. It is just reality. It is hard to
beat thousands of programmers who are eager to prove
themselves and are neurotic about their
"reputation". Sad state, but submit a question - one
second later, you have a correct answer. Like I said,
hard to beat.

With tools like this, perhaps in time, we can have "the
best of both worlds".

If you like, check out some interface hacks I did to
w3m [1]. It is all about getting the contents of Google
searches, YouTube, Pirate Bay, Wikipedia, etc., and to
have that integrated with you Emacs buffer (the region,
or word-at-point, to fire off searches). It has been
working good for me, though your project is a big leap
beyond those mere interfaces. Anyway, keep it up :)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.emacs-w3m

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573