Re: emacs and special chars (emoticons)

From: henry atting
Subject: Re: emacs and special chars (emoticons)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:19:15 +0100

> I can live without emoticons but what people write via jabber
> (I use emacs jabber) looks ugly with all those substitute characters.
> I thought it would be a good idea to install a font which contains all
> these symbols (Symbola) and make it known to emacs with
> unicode-fonts.el.
> This appeared to be not a good idea.
> Emacs startup time increased to about 5 minutes.
> All the `tweaks' like
>
>  unicode-fonts-existence-checks (quote none)
>  unicode-fonts-restrict-to-fonts (quote ("Symbola")))
>  unicode-fonts-skip-font-groups (quote ...)
>
> did help nothing.
>
> What would be the appropriate way to make emacs display emoticons (from
> Symbola font)?

Since my emacs already knows about all fontsets I need I »solved« it
with utmost cruelty (though I can assure that no harm to animals or any
other living creature is done):
I renamed unicode-fonts.el, then stripped off everything from the new
file that will search for any other fontset than `Symbola'.
It works fine and does not perceptibly increase startup time.