Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 10:14:15 -0700

Hello Joseph,

Ernest Adrogué wrote:
> Hi Joseph
>
> Joseph Vidal-Rosset escriu:
> > I am sorry to say that, after a clean install of the last Debian testing
> >  and even the application of the command that you just gave to me, the
> > problem is always the same.
>
> What server are you installing from?

On Debian this command is useful for determining which server emacs is
coming from.

  apt-cache policy emacs emacs24

> I am running Debian testing and haven't got this problem.

Works for me too without any problems.  I guess that there is an
incompatible 3rd party package source in the /etc/apt/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/* files.  The version should be 24.3.  If it
is any other version then it isn't coming from the Debian package
repository and some problem with the sources.list must be suspected.

Since this is Debian specific the best place for help would be on the
debian-user@lists.debian.org mailing list.  Just so all of us Debian
folks don't annoy the rest. :-)

Bob