Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:38:53 -0700

Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> I have finally discovered the error. I had try to build emacs from sources
> and the emacs bin in /usr/local/ prevented a clean install of the Debian
> package. It was simple, but it was very long and hard for me to understand
> what happened !

I am happy to hear that you have solved your problem.  You might
consider reporting a bug to the Debian emacs package concerning the
problem of a local emacs affecting the build.  Having a version
/usr/local/bin/emacs shouldn't prevent the system packaged emacs from
installing.  They could be separate from each other.

I once submitted a similar bug and the Debian package maintainer was
very responsive.  We quickly determined that one particular elisp file
didn't like being byte compiled by emacs21 that I still had installed
on my system from long ago.  Personally after finding that I was happy
to remove emacs21 and just move along but the package maintainer added
code in the postinstall script to handle that case going forward.  It
was really a win-win.

Bob