RMS speaks, 2005

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: RMS speaks, 2005
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 23:14:40 +0100

I just found a very interesting interview with RMS in
an issue of, eh, "EuroHacker Magazine" -
... "Eurohacker" ...? That sounds like a typical
immature ezine of the 90's, but it is actually from
2005. As for the immature part, some of the questions
are out of their depths, put it that way.

They mention Emacs as the flag ship of the GNU project,
which is one way of looking at it, if you look for a
piece of technology/software at a very high level of
everything you would look for in software. If you were
to put a single GNU project in a museum, I'd pick
Emacs.

But if you think of what influenced the computer world
the most I think the C compiler and gdb rank higher. It
is difficult to envisage the Linux project without gcc,
for example.

On the other hand, lots of GNU tools are very low-key,
and that doesn't make them any less indispensable: what
about ls, df, and all those?

Anyway, here is the interview. Enjoy.

http://web.textfiles.com/ezines/EUROHACKER/ISSUE2/a05.html

--