Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:45:45 -0500

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 19:43 +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Paul Smith <psmith@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> I'm not sure that I chose right prefix "C-c o". I
> >> hope it will be ok.
> >
> > Please do not use bindings with "C-c <letter>".  They
> > seem unused because they are reserved for
> > customization by the individual user.  They're the
> > only key bindings so reserved, and we really need to
> > not override them.
>
> So you say?

Actually, the Emacs Lisp manual says... :-)

> When I ran out of keystrokes, or close and
> short ones at least, I setup a new prefix key, namely
> C-o, though I'm unsure had I
> setup the C-o prefix had I known you were "supposed" to
> use C-c. Are there any other guidelines for shortcuts?

You're not "supposed" to use anything.  It's just you can be confident
that if you DO use that keymap, it won't conflict with any of the modes
that come with emacs or packages you install.

I'm not aware of any other keymaps reserved for users, if that's what
you mean by "guidelines".