Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Andrey Tykhonov
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 02:21:24 +0200

2014/1/10 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>

> Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > According to the first line of this emacswiki page
> > emacs 24.4 has a html renderer built-in. You could
> > check its availability and fall back to your own
> > solution if it's not available:
> >
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HtmlRendering
> >
> > I haven't tried it, but I guess it covers a lot of
> > cases which can occur in HTML docs.
>
> ... but don't be too fast to just employ everything
> just because it is possible. At this point, you (the
> developer(s)) of this tool, have a great opportunity to
> think what makes sense to include, and what is
> redundant. Be sure to enjoy that opportunity :)

I definitely enjoy such opportunity! :)

For now I think it would be good to integrate some html renderer but only
as optional feature, as such feature which could brings benefits for users
who has emacs 24.4 but in the same time will not break functionality for
those users which still uses emacs < 24.4. Though the version 24.4 (and its
eww) is not the only point... Stefan Monnier mentioned SHR (thank you,
Stefan. Didn't meet this package before), which could be also used but it
depends on libxml. Somebody could have compiled emacs without libxml thus
SHR won't work...

By the way, inspired by your email about w3m, I've tried to render html by
means of it. And for me it provides the best result (though I haven't tried
eww or shr yet). But w3m is third party dependency which could be
unacceptable for somebody... Well, still thinking about next steps :)

Thank you!

Andrey