RE: Trying to right-align my window on startup

From: Mickey Ferguson
Subject: RE: Trying to right-align my window on startup
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 01:17:22 +0000

>> I can't figure out how or where to place it so that it executes _and
>> works properly.  I put it my MF-Init.el file that is loaded upon
>> startup.

>Replace that file with one that does _only_ what you are testing.
>Adding something untested to a giant sack of eels is not the way to test that
>something.  (No, I cannot know >that MF-Init.el is a sack of eels.  Just a
>hunch.)

Yes, it is a sack of eels.  :-)  It's been building up for at least 20 years...
most of which I added stuff based on recommendations from others, not really
knowing fully what I was doing.  When it comes to elisp, I'm not usually even
competent enough to be dangerous.

>According to your code, that could happen if the `selected-frame'
>is not what you think it is.  Try adding a `message' call that tells
>you what the selected frame is, and its displayed buffer etc.
>IOW, find out what is going on.

I'm afraid I don't even know how to do this, or even what it means to
differentiate between frames.  But I have made some progress, using your
isolation approach.

Here is a very pared down file I'm calling minimal.el.  I've narrowed it all
down to the call to set-frame-font within big-font-mode.  As it appears below,
emacs starts up and is properly right-aligned.  If I uncomment out the call to
big-font-mode, which ultimately is just a call to set-frame-font, it gives the
message that it ran align-window-right, but it starts up about an inch from the
right edge.  (Don't ask me where I got that string for the font to use, because
I don't remember.  But it does give me the best looking font [to me] for my
needs.  If there is a better way to specify it that will give me the font I
want, but not run into the problem I'm encountering, I'm all ears.)

(defun align-window ()
  "fix window positioning"
  (interactive)
  (if (equal (getenv "emacs_alignment") "right")
      (align-window-right)
    (align-window-left))
  )

(defun align-window-left ()
  "align window to left window edge"
  (interactive)
  (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0)
  (message "Ran align-window-left")
  )

(defun align-window-right ()
  "align window to right window edge"
  (interactive)
  (set-frame-position (selected-frame) -1 0)
  (message "Ran align-window-right")
  )

(defun big-font-mode ()
  "Use larger font"
  (interactive)
  (set-frame-font
   "-outline-Consolas-bold-r-normal-normal-12-90-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1"
   )
  )

 (cond
 ((eq window-system 'w32)