Re: My humble additions to AUCTeX

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: My humble additions to AUCTeX
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:16:50 +0100

Dnia 2014-01-13, o godz. 17:49:55
Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> napisaƂ(a):

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've recently started putting together some functions to enhance
> > AUCTeX.  Currently, a very limited set is ready (getting info about
> > the "token" (in the TeX sense) at point and movement by tokens)
>
> Could you state some of the problems you are solving ? ISTR
> token-by-token motion was a problem for me at some point in the past,
> but I think these problems disappeared. I use C-M-f and C-M-b.

Do I guess correctly that you did some (or more) LaTeX typesetting, but
not too much low-level TeX programming, dear Watson? ;)

Imagine this: <!>\these\are\four\tokens, where <!> denotes the point.
Then, C-M-f moves too far; I want to move by one token (i.e. to get
\these<!>\are\four\tokens), not by a whole string of them at the same
level of curly braces.

Also, I want to level up the word commands to token-aware commands.
Imagine this: \these\are\four\tokens<!>.  Now, if you press M-DEL, the
backslash does not get deleted; if I made its syntax "word", pressing
M-DEL would kill *everything* shown here. And I want to be able to kill
just the string "\tokens" with one keystroke.

Notice that, as I hinted at the beginning, strings of consecutive TeX
commands are rather rare in LaTeX documents; but when doing low-level
TeX programming, such situations are *extremely* common, and I'd find
more fine-grained control over movement very useful then.

Last but not least, I aim at commands to work on matching pairs of
\left...\right, \bigl...\bigr etc. delimiters.  Therefore, I want to be
able to walk through the text token by token.  (I did look into
smartparen, and it doesn't seem to be sophisticated enough to do what I
need.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski