Re: About Emacs features

From: Damien Wyart
Subject: Re: About Emacs features
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:54:24 +0100

* Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> in gnu.emacs.help:
> For "auto-complete", you can use abbrev, as mentioned, but I don't
> know if there is a "dynamic" auto-complete feature like in some of
> those M$ IDEs where you define a variable (or create a button, with
> old-school Hungarian notation to keep track of one zillion objects)
> and then just type the beginning of the name to get suggestions, and
> then hit enter to complete.

Auto Complete is quite popular: http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/

Other packages are listed here (under Text Completion):
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion

There are also a few per-language specialized packages, eg Jedi for
Python: http://tkf.github.io/emacs-jedi/
or Robe or Rsense for Ruby, and so on...

--
DW