completing-read does not accept spaces (was: Command timeclock-out)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: completing-read does not accept spaces (was: Command timeclock-out)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:07:47 +0100

Miguel Guedes <miguel.a.guedes@gmail.com> writes:

> I've just noticed that when executing `timeclock-out' and inputting a
> reason it does not accept spaces.  This command makes use of the
> function `completing-read'.
>
> Is not accepting spaces when entering a reason for clocking out the
> intended behaviour?

Reading the docstring of completing-read I see no reason why it should
not accept spaces. So either the docstring is at fault or there is a bug
on completing-read. Curiously, the function will complete the user's
input to a string containing spaces if there is one on the collection of
candidates:

(completing-read "say: " (list "hello there"))

Please submit a bug report (M-x report-emacs-bug) against completing-read.