Re: accented letters ( typing in )

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: accented letters ( typing in )
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:33:14 +0100

Hi Michel,
* Michel Chassey <mycuser@gmail.com> [17. Jan. 2014]:
> I have this version installed :
> GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.18) of 2013-06-17
> on komainu, modified by Debian
> Emacs displays all accented letters flawlessly from my files but I cannot
> type in these accented letters.
> é can by typed in but none the others like è ê à â . I can type these
> letters anywhere ( as you can see ) but not in emacs.
>
> My OS is Ubuntu 13.10 ( just upgraded )

I'm no expert on this topic.  But I think Chaper 22.3 Input
Methords and the next few ones of the Emacs Manual would help.
There are various input methods for various languages.

Another way of dealing with the problem is to configure the
keyboard.  I have configured the Caps Lock key to function as a
compose key in /etc/default/keyboard like so:

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="apple_laptop"
#or "macbook79"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="mac_nodeadkeys"
XKBOPTIONS="compose:caps,lv3:rwin_switch,eurosign:e,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

BACKSPACE="guess"

Ciao, Gregor
--