Re: accented letters ( typing in )

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: accented letters ( typing in )
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:42:20 +0100

Michel Chassey <mycuser@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
> I have this version installed :
> GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.18) of 2013-06-17
> on komainu, modified by Debian
> Emacs displays all accented letters flawlessly from my files but I cannot
> type in these accented letters.
> é can by typed in but none the others like è ê à â . I can type these
> letters anywhere ( as you can see ) but not in emacs.
>
> My OS is Ubuntu 13.10 ( just upgraded )

As others suggested, one solution is to set the X keyboard to something
that allows it. This is what I did on my Kubuntu install. As you say
that you can type those characters elsewhere but not in Emacs, possibly
you have those settings in place, but for some reason they don't work
for Emacs.

If you type ' do you see the apostrophe righ away or do you need to type
it twice or followed by a space?

Another option is to

M-x set-input-method [ENTER] spanish-prefix [ENTER]

and then (IIRC)

'e -> é
"u -> ü
~n -> ñ

Those may work too:

^a -> â
`e -> è

If not, select another input method (french-prefix, etc).

Beware that your X keyboard settings may clash with Emacs input method.

See the info node for "International Character Set Support".