Re: accented letters ( typing in )

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: accented letters ( typing in )
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:47:25 +0100

Michel Chassey <mycuser@gmail.com> writes:

> é can by typed in but none the others like è ê à â.
> I can type these letters anywhere (as you can see)
> but not in emacs.

Input methods and the compose key are two solutions,
but probably not optimal ones if you are accustomed to
typing those letters in another way, and that way, they
work everywhere else.

How do you input those chars? Did you set that up or
did it always work?

Are you running a GUI Emacs? (The one that appears if
you type 'emacs' in an X terminal.)

What happens if you instead run with -nw (for
'--no-window-system') - does it work, then? If it
doesn't, do those chars work in the terminal itself
(before you start Emacs)? What terminal do you use?
Did you configure it?

This sounds like a misconfiguration along the way
(which happens, of course), or perhaps a mistake higher
up. The post (on this list) that mentioned the locale
is a good start. Learning (new) input methods or
setting up and learning the compose key are general
solutions to the problem of goofy chars but in your
case I'd discourage and I don't think you should have
to.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573