Re: Impossible to set org mode variable

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Impossible to set org mode variable
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:35:00 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 06:38:51PM -0800, Rusi wrote:
> On Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:30:58 AM UTC+5:30, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > How do you compile Org?  As far as I'm aware, org-version.el is
> > autogenerated; so it would depend on how you compile Org.
>
> > That said, in my case I see consistent varlues, so I would be inclined
> > to think you have shadowing of Org libraries going on.
>
> Of course.
> Is it possible to use recent org without shadowing?

Sorry, I mistyped slightly.  It should be incomplete shadowing; I
explain below.

> > Again how you
> > are installing Org matters.  To verify the shadowing possibility
> > checkout this FAQ: <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install>
>
> Ok -- looked at that again.
> 1. Looked at all the shadows. As far as I can see in all cases my local org
> shadows the system one

Are there any system Org libraries *not* shadowed?  That would be make
this a typical mixed install problem.  All the old libraries should be
shadowed by the newer vesion.  So if "new" is a superset, you are good.
If there is an overlap, but not all, something is wrong.

> 2. Looked at org-version: It shows as
> ----------------
> org-version is a variable defined in `org.el'.
> Its value is "8.2.5e"
>
>   This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.
>
> Documentation:
> Not documented as a variable.
> ----------------
> This looks a little suspect because it matches neither the good nor the bad
> in the wiki you linked!!

Indeed.  My Org as shipped with Emacs is 8.2.5.c (I updated yesterday).
Where as my Org from git is 8.2.5f (release_8.2.5f-511-gbf304c).  I
updated Org yesterday.

$ git describe
release_8.2.5f-511-gbf304c3

> How I am installing org:
>
> 1. use git
> 2. make update
> 3. Point load path to the git-download-dir/lisp
>
> From the make helpall output
> make autoloads      - create org-loaddefs.el to load Org in-place
>
> I assume that using org 'in-place' is allowable and legitimate?

I do that myself.

$ git pull --rebase
$ make compile autoloads info # similar to update, I use this for historical
reasons

Then point to the path in my init.el.  This last bit, you should do very
early in your init file.  Here is my setup to give you an idea (see line
18): <https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/init.el>.  You can
ignore the kill-old-org bit, it is experimental.

> Also the first line of the build system
> http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html
> says
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html
>
> Org can be run directly from sources but...
>
> Maybe the but is a big but!?

Well I think now there is a target (make uncompiled) just to make it
easier to run from sources.  Many of the devs prefer this, creates nicer
backtraces.

--
Suvayu