Re: accented letters ( typing in )

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: accented letters ( typing in )
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 00:25:07 +0100

"Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif@mac.com> writes:

> As a matter of fact, I have two keyboard layouts:
> «English (US, international with dead keys)» and
> «Spanish». I prefer to use the English layout because
> I have easier access to some symbols (|, \, etc.)
> with it.

I'm glad you say this, because this is what I always
said, the US layout is better, in particular for
programmers. But I still need to write in Swedish now
and then, and I can't switch back and forth because
that would make me sea sick. So for the Swedish chars I
setup the compose key. The benefit of the compose key
is that it works in the ttys *and* in X, so it is a
system-wide solution. And I think this is the way the
compose key should be used: for really exotic chars
(which are used extremely seldom, but when so you can
"compose" them in a logical way), *or* for the hybrid
situation I just mentioned. In the OP's case, the
compose key would be a tedious workaround. (But a
solution is a solution, for sure.)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573