Re: accented letters ( typing in )

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: accented letters ( typing in )
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 00:32:44 +0100

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Canonical wants the cell phone market.  X is probably
> too heavy to use on cell phones.  With that in mind
> it makes sense that Ubuntu would want something very
> light for use in the cell phone area.  That is the
> purpose of Mir.
>
> AFAIK Wayland was a feature change to support
> "compositing" such as multiple concurrent video
> streams and 3D and other shiny features that isn't
> natively supported by X.  But that probably takes it
> out of the cell phone market too.  And so they still
> need to go to Mir there.

Yes, a very plausible summary.

>> Kubuntu though, the "female" Ubuntu that uses KDE
>> instead of Gnome,
>
> What makes Kubuntu female?  I have always considered
> all of the window systems gender neutral "its".

People say that. Gnome is perhaps big, and confident,
while KDE is more low-key but not without charm and
subtle elegance. (Just speculating.)

> "Time is what prevents everything from happening at
> once."  If they could they would.  They can't yet.
> So they haven't.  At least not yet.  I predict that
> they will.  It will just take them more time to get
> there.

I don't know what to think of Ubuntu on the device
market. People say Android is open, but it sure doesn't
feel like a Linux system. I guess you could say even
Windows is "open" because it is portable. Linux on cell
phones won't make it any worse, I don't think, but will
it make it better? I hope so!

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573