org mode checkboxes from file

From: Zebee Johnstone
Subject: org mode checkboxes from file
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:24:15 +0000 (UTC)

In org mode, I want to set up checkboxes from a file.

so I ahve something like

* TODO buy this item

and I have a set of steps  that I have to go through when raising a purchase
order such as

 - [ ] get quotes
 - [ ] update cost forecasts
 - [ ] request PO
 - [ ] check note and match

Pain to type all those each time...

But if I put them in a file, then do C-x i to import that file under
the todo item and add [/] to the todo item, that checkbox counter is
not updated.

I think this means the todo item does not see the imported checkboxes
as its children.

How do I convince it that they are?

Is it a matter of whitespace before the -?

Is there some toggle I can use to associate them to the TODO?

However.. if I position cursor on the TODO and hit TAB then the
checkboxes vanish meaning that they are seen as children?

If I position the cursor at the end of the TODO line then delete until
the first line of the imported file moves to that line, then hit RET,
well suddenly all is well...

Has to be a more sensible way?

Zebee