Re: org mode checkboxes from file

From: Zebee Johnstone
Subject: Re: org mode checkboxes from file
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:50:01 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.emacs.help on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:57:17 +0100
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Inserting from the file will not update the counter,
> updating at least one checkbox will.

The counter on the todo line stays at [0/0]  It doesn't see the
checkboxes underneath.

>> If I position the cursor at the end of the TODO line then delete until
>> the first line of the imported file moves to that line, then hit RET,
>> well suddenly all is well...
>
> You lost me here...

Start like this:

* TODO buy things. [/]

Then position cursor on the next line.  use C-x i to import a file that
looks like this
 - [ ] first thing to do
 - [ ] second thing to do

Position cursor on [/] on todo line.  do C-c C-c.  [/] is now [0/0]

update checkbox in first line with C-c C-c

no change in TODO count.

>> Has to be a more sensible way?
>
> Updating a checkbox should do.

nope...

What has worked is to not have the check boxes in the list in the
imported file, but to do the C-u C-c C-c once it is imported.

Now to see if that works when your imported list is

 - thing to do
   - subthing 1
   - subthing 2
 - other thing to do