Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:38:56 +0100

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I'm quite happy living with no mode-line for a few
> months, temporarily displaying it as a header is fine
> so far.

That Emacs has less distractions, and where it has, it
is configurable/programmable, is the number one reason
it had such an impact on my life. While programming
(and in general computer activity) is *interesting*
even in a MS Access interface or a GUI web browser, it
just isn't *enjoyable* to actually *do*. Emacs brought
those in synch.

As for the mode line, I agree it is a bit crowded by
default, though I suspect most people don't have a
problem with that. I configured my mode line
mode-by-mode in a way that I think now is obsolete
because there is a mode line package that should be
simple enough. Anyway, check out

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/mode_line.png

--
underground experts united: