How to set up Emacs as a mail client (with mail saved/filed on an IMAP s

From: nljlistbox2
Subject: How to set up Emacs as a mail client (with mail saved/filed on an IMAP server)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:35:30 -0800 (PST)

I've been reading about getting email set up in Emacs for the past several
months, but I haven't yet come upon a satisfactory solution for me. I have a
few questions that I hope someone might answer.

1. Gnus: It has often been observed that mail and news are similar creatures,
so that it makes sense to handle mail in a system built for handling news.
Certainly there are similarities. However, when I've read a news article in
Gnus, it disappears. That suits me well enough. But I don't want the mail in my
inbox to disappear once it's been read. I'd like to be able to see both my read
and unread mail in my inbox and have the two distinguished in some way. Doable?
I'm guessing it is, but the second issue has precluded me looking up how to do
it.

2. Gnus again: As far as I've been able to ascertain (and of course I might be
mistaken), Gnus does not support IMAP. To be sure it will download mail from an
IMAP server (I have that set up already), but that is not my use case. I have
my inboxes (the contents of which are retrieved from the outside world by
fetchmail) and about twenty-years worth of filed mail in a local Dovecot IMAP
server. I don't want my mail client (whatever I end up using) to make its own
local copy of my mail -- I want it to allow me to read the mail in my IMAP
inboxes, delete it on the rare occasions that I want to do that, or file it in
other folders on the IMAP server. Did I miss something, or am I correct in
thinking Gnus lacks the ability to interact with an IMAP server in that way?

3. RMAIL: Again, can it interact with IMAP as above? The impression that I've
reached is that RMAIL is adamant about having it's own local copy of things.

4. Mutt with Emacs as external editor: This is the solution I'm leaning
towards, but I'll be sad if I can't get an all-Emacs solution working. (After
all, I do almost everything else on my computer in Emacs.) Are there known
pitfalls to using Mutt with Emacs?

Thank you to anyone with suggestions.

N. Jackson.