Re: How close does Emacs already come to Soulver?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: How close does Emacs already come to Soulver?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:40:52 -0500

Hi Bastien,

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How could I use that (sounds like part of the Spreadsheet subsystem of
>> Org?) to do something like `2 dogs x 3 pounds of food x 7 per pound =
>> ${recalculated field:42}`, which is what Soulver seems to do?
>
> See
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/tables.html
>
> for an introduction about Org tables and
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.html
>
> for an introduction about using Org tables as spreadsheets.

Unless I'm misreading the docs, I don't see how tables help me with
unstructured text. The whole point of Soulver seems to be that it
extracts the formula out of the natural language of the problem
statement. Introducing structure to that text would be beside the
point. Once I can start adding structure then I might as well not
write the natural language.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.