Re: ezwinports gnutls, does it work?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ezwinports gnutls, does it work?
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:11:35 +0200

> From: Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 00:01:25 +0530
>
> I recently downloaded the ezwinports of the common unix tools and most
> tools seem to work as in cygwin.  However, the gnutls-cli seems to
> hang connecting to gmail imap.  I had to C-g to stop the connection.
> I renamed them and used the cygwin gnutls for that alone.
>
> Has it worked for anyone?

Yes, it works, but not in the way you think.  You need to build Emacs
with GnuTLS support, or get a binary someone else built with such
support; then install the GnuTLS DLL from the ezwinports site; and
then Emacs will automatically use the GnuTLS DLL (not the gnutls-cli
program!) to support TLS connections.

The original TLS support via gnutls-cli uses signals, which doesn't
work on Windows (except in Cygwin).  So Emacs on Windows now uses the
GnuTLS library directly, and the gnutls.el package was augmented
accordingly.