RE: Do not switch focus to the completions buffer window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Do not switch focus to the completions buffer window
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 19:44:49 -0800 (PST)

> The *Completions* window is never selected for me.  I tested with
> Emacs 23 and Emacs 24.  Even better, with the latest Emacs release,
> the *Completions* pop up window is even automatically closed after
> successful completion.
>
> So I think what you see is caused by your setup, or you use a really
> old Emacs version.  Or please give a recipe of what you see starting
> from emacs -Q.

Perhaps Leo is doing something like this?

emacs -Q
(setq pop-up-frames t)
M-x for TAB

That's enough, on MS Windows at least, to repro the problem.

When MS Windows creates a new frame, it gives it the input
focus.  Anything you type after the TAB above will be sent
to *Completions*.

This has been a limitation of Emacs since forever, and a
limitation that I, for one, jump through some hoops to
workaround.  (And it was a problem solved by the Epoch
version of Emacs 20 years ago.)

Dunno whether this is in fact related to Leo's actual problem.
But it is one possible scenario that leads to the problem
Leo described.