Re: Multiple "outgoing" email accounts.

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Multiple "outgoing" email accounts.
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:07:15 +0100

> nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:
>
>> "William G Gardella" <wgg2@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>> N.B. that in emacs24, you can also specify which SMTP server to use
>>> for message-mode on a per message basis with an
>>> "X-Message-SMTP-Method:" header, e.g.

>>> This eliminates much of the need for the setting of individual
>>> smtpmail-* variables in these multiple accounts configurations for
>>> message-mode MUAs like mu4e and Gnus.  This technique also lets you
>>> switch between use of smtpmail and use of your system's local sendmail
>>> binary:

>>> See (info "(message) Mail Variables") for more info.
>>
>> I've been looking at using this header for in my set up for multiple
>> email accounts and I find myself with questions that I haven't found the
>> answers to yet in the documentation:
>>
>> !. Does the header get removed before the mail is sent?
>>
>> 2. Can one omit the port number and leave that to be retrieved from the
>> .authinfo file?
>>
>> 3. Is there a command to insert the X-Message-SMTP-Method header?
>>
>> 4. When entering the value for the X-Message-SMTP-Method header, is
>> there a way to use completion to select from available smtp servers, or
>> from the entries in .authinfo?
>>
>> It would seem like an excessive amount of work, and error prone, to type
>> in something like

>> every time I want to send an email.
>
> I think the idea is to use posting styles to tell gnus to set up the
> appropriate STMP method header, depending on your From address. As far
> as I know, however, that means you can't cycle the From address in the
> message-mode buffer and have it do the right thing. You'd have specify
> the From address before the message buffer is set up. I'm looking at
> this now, and I'll probably set up a wrapper around compose-mail.

Here's a simplified version of the ugly hack I use to do this.

(defun rasmus/compose-mail (&optional arg)
  "Compose a mail with the possibility to choose a style if ARG is non-nil"
  (interactive "P")
  (require 'gnus-util)
  (unless (gnus-alive-p) (gnus) (bury-buffer))
  (if (not arg)
        (compose-mail)
      (let* ((accounts (mapcar (lambda (x)
                                 (let ((adr (cadr (assoc 'GCC x))));; TODO:
fragile
                                   (cons
                                    (replace-regexp-in-string
".*:\\([[:ascii:]]+\\)/.*" "\\1" adr)
                                    adr)))
                               gnus-posting-styles))
             (choice (ido-completing-read "Choose account" (mapcar 'car
accounts)))
             (gnus-newsgroup-name (cdr-safe (assoc choice accounts))))
        (gnus-summary-mail-other-window))))

nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:

> And what about the settings of variables like smtpmail-smtp-service,
> smtpmail-starttls-credentials, smtpmail-auth-credentials etc.? Do they
> get factored in to the mix, or are they ignored when the
> "X-Message-SMTP-Method" header is used?

You set that in your posting style as well.  Here's an example (the
eval line in the end).

  (setq gnus-posting-styles
        '(((lambda () (rasmus/gnus-posting-style-identify "school"
                       '("To" . "rasmus@school\\.edu")
                        (lambda () (pank/message-mailto-test "school\\.edu"))))
           (address "rasmus@school.eu")
           ;; (Face (gnus-convert-png-to-face (expand-file-name "school.png"
gnus-face-direcotry)))
           (Organization "School")
           (GCC "nnimap+mail:school/sent")
           (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp server.com 587 rasmus@school.edu")
           (signature "My sig")
           (eval (setq smtpmail-stream-type nil)))))

Also, the X-message-SMTP-Method seems to be stripped from a quick test
(examining a raw message send to myself).

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Enough with the bla bla!