Re: emacs causing automount error

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: emacs causing automount error
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 15:03:07 +0000

On Tue 11 Feb 2014, Patrick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using emacs on several machines, and now my system administrator told me
> that on one machine his log files are filled up with this
>
> Feb 10 14:38:46 xx automount[3394]: key ".bzr" not found in map source(s).
> Feb 10 14:38:46 xx automount[3394]: key ".git" not found in map source(s).
> Feb 10 14:38:46 xx automount[3394]: key ".hg" not found in map source(s).
> Feb 10 14:38:46 xx automount[3394]: key "_MTN" not found in map source(s).
> Feb 10 14:38:46 xx automount[3394]: key "{arch}" not found in map source(s).
>
> Comparing the timestamps, this happens everytime I start emacs. Is anyone
> familiar with this problem or can point me to where I can stop emacs from
> trying to access all these inexisting keys on startup?

The names from the log are the directories that various version control
systems use to store their metadata in a working copy (i.e tree of
version controlled files).

If you use vc-mode then Emacs finds the root of your working copy by
searching up the directory heirarchy until it finds one of these
directories. At that point it knows which version control system is in
use.

Read the Version Control section of the emacs manual for details. That
suggests doing "(setq vc-handled-backends nil)" to completely disable
VC.

Please file a bug report (M-x report-emacs-bug) with full details of the
emacs version, file paths and log entries to help the developers tune the
search for VC directories.

HTH,

    AndyM