sql-completion.el messing with sql-mysql?

From: Frank Stutzman
Subject: sql-completion.el messing with sql-mysql?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:47:24 +0000 (UTC)

Has anyone else had problems with sql-completion.el messing with sql-mysql
mode  am I doing something dumb?

I'm using GNU Emacs 24.3.1.  If I have no init file (--no-init) when I start
it, I have no problems with going into sql-mode and opening up a SQLi
connection to my remote database.  Works great.

However, if I install sql-completion.el (version 1.1.1.1) and put:

   (require 'mysql)
   (require 'sql-completion)
   (setq sql-interactive-mode-hook
       (lambda ()
       (define-key sql-interactive-mode-map "\t" 'comint-dynamic-complete)
       (sql-mysql-completion-init)))

Into my .emacs file (that bit is exactly what the is sql-completion.el file
tells you to do), do a 'M-x sql-mysql' and suddenly things start breaking.
Namely, right after I enter the login information I get an error saying:

   "if: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
    socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (13)"

Oddly enough the *SQL* buffer is created and is functioning, and I can set
'sql-set-sqli-buffer' to it, but if I try to 'c-c c-r' a snippet of
sql code, I get a 'Wrong type arguement: processp, nil'

I'm pretty new to emacs customization (almost as new as I am to emacs)
so maybe I'm missing something, but it sure seems to me something is
broken.

Just a few more details.  My database is on a machine different than the
one I'm running emacs on.  The shell mysql client has no problems
connecting to the remote database.  Originally I had a bunch of other code
in my .emacs, but I have trimmed it all down to what I show above.  If its
not obvious, I can cut and paste elisp but I really don't understand it.

--
Frank Stutzman