Re: custom-themes BAD?

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: custom-themes BAD?
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:48:31 -0500

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>> If you use manoj-dark theme, then switch to another theme,
>> manoj will leave behind a huge number of it's customizations,
>> since other themes don't set as many fonts.
>
> Now this is an important point and raises one question: there is a
> load-theme function - but not an unload-theme which removes the
> customizations done by the package? An author of a theme can not be
> expected to undo all changes another theme might have done - but one
> could expect a package author to provide a function which unloads the
> theme and restores the theme used before, or simply reset to the default
> values.
>
> IMO, this is the problem with themes.

It should be a simple matter for all themes to run a hook that removes
the previous theme.  Then have each theme define it's own hook function.
But removing a face won't revert to the prior face, so each theme would
have to query the current setting, then save it in the hook function
for removal.

I think it would be far easier to just have a set of about 20 or 30 faces
that a theme is expected to set so the next theme can override those
same 20 to 30 faces.  Note, I'm not claiming 20 to 30 faces would be
sufficient, but manoj-dark is almost 800 lines long.  Certainly no one
needs or wants 800 different faces.

--
Dan Espen