Re: closing emacsclient always focuses another emacs window

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: closing emacsclient always focuses another emacs window
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:38:36 +0200

> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 07:58:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: trygve.flathen@gmail.com
>
> kl. 14:26:37 UTC+1 lørdag 8. mars 2014 skrev Eli Zaretskii følgende:
> > Can you please clarify what focus change you'd like to avoid, exactly?
> > I couldn't understand that from your original message.  When a frame
> > created by emacsclient is deleted, that frame no longer exists, so
> > it's not clear to me how could Emacs _not_ switch the focus to some
> > other frame.
>
> That's right, the problem is _which_ other frame.
>
> Example:
> - I start with two windows: a terminal and an emacsclient for some file named
> foo that I started yesterday. The emacsclient is minimized and the terminal
> has focus.
> - I do "emacsclient -c /tmp/bar". A second emacsclient window is created and
> focused.
> - I do my work, save the bar file, and do C-x #. The bar window disappears.
>
> What I now want: terminal gets the focus back.
> What actually happens: The foo emacsclient is raised and gets focus.

Thanks, I understand the issue now.

But I cannot reproduce what you describe on my machine: what I get is
the behavior you want, i.e. the Emacs frame created by emacsclient
disappears from the display, and the terminal window from which I
invoked that emacsclient gets back the focus.

So perhaps this is something related to your window manager?  That's
assuming that you see the same behavior when you start "emacs -Q",
then start the server there, and finally do what you describe above.
If in "emacs -Q" the problem doesn't happen, then look in your
~/.emacs for the culprit.  If, OTOH, "emacs -Q" exhibits the same
behavior, perhaps sharing your window manager and its customizations
will reveal the reason(s) for the behavior you observe.