Re: ispell/aspell personal dictionary, this time on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ispell/aspell personal dictionary, this time on Windows
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 21:30:00 +0200

> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 12:06:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: djc <peter.kaiser@gmail.com>
>
> With "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)" and aspell 0.50.3 I'm
> struggling with how to define and maintain personal word lists for four
> different languages. I find myself swamped in the different versions of
> aspell, multiple ispell.el variables related to personal dictionaries, and
> command-line arguments passed to aspell.
>
> The goal is to use a language-specific personal dictionary that corresponds
> to the language being checked, to update that dictionary routinely whenever I
> specify to add a word, and to be able to switch personal dictionaries when
> switching among languages within a buffer.
>
> I'd love to see a unified description of how accomplish this, or a real-world
> example, especially from someone who has it working.

I never used aspell on Windows, but with Hunspell, this all happens
automatically: for each language XYZ the speller saves your personal
dictionary in the file ~/hunspell_XYZ (on Unix, on ~/.hunspell_XYZ).
I never needed to define any variables for that to work; the moment
you switch the dictionary to use some other language, the personal
dictionary is automatically switched as well.

AFAIR, this worked like that with Ispell as well, so I'd be surprised
to learn that aspell doesn't behave that way.