Re: Changing the SMTP port

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Changing the SMTP port
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 01:56:16 +0100

Hi Robert,

> I recently switched from Emacs 23 to Emacs 24.3.  Message now uses the
> Auth-Source library instead of smtp-auth-credentials.

> How is the server port supposed to be specified now?  It used to be in
> smtp-auth-credentials.  The entry in .authinfo is "25" if I change that
> then whenever I send an email I'm prompted for a username and password
> and Emacs puts another entry in .authinfo with 25 for the port number.

That's probably not enough.  With your solution, I think Gnus still
tries port 25, but doesn't find an according line in .authinfo.  So you
probably must configure this in Gnus as well, e.g. in your posting
styles.  I'm no Gnus expert, so this is more or less my experience based
knowledge.

But as an example I can give you my (working) configuration of my
googlemail account using port 587 for smtp.  This is the entry I have in
`gnus-posting-styles':

        ("@googlemail.com"
         ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.googlemail.com 587
heerdegen.michael")
         (address "heerdegen.michael@googlemail.com"))

and this is my according line in my .authinfo:

machine smtp.googlemail.com login heerdegen.michael port 587 password foo

HTH,

Michael.