Re: nnmairix

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: nnmairix
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:00:32 +0100

Hi again,

let me prepend:

- I store my mails in MH format.  Dunno how setup may be different for
  mbox.

- I'm the opposite of a Gnus expert

- It's long ago that I configured this, but following

   (info "(gnus) nnmairix")

 was, at the end, sufficient

> Can you show us .......
>

> 1. What you have in your .gnus file relating to mairix

Only quite trivial stuff:

- (require 'nnmairix)

- an entry

    (nnml "mairix")

  in `gnus-secondary-select-methods' (this belongs to the server for
  reading the matches as a group, see below)

- (add-hook
   'gnus-group-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key gnus-group-mode-map [?s] #'nnmairix-search)))

> 2. Your ~/.mairixrc file ?

That's really all:

base=~/Mail/archive
mfolder=~/mairix
mh=...
mformat=mh
omit=zz_mairix-*
database=~/.mairixdatabase

> 3. In the server buffer (hit ^ while in the group buffer) is nnmairix
> mentioned?

Yes.  Actually, I think I had created two new servers (by hand).  The
first looks like

    {nnmairix:mairix}

that's for being able to use nnmairix as mairix backend for Gnus.  With
this you can't yet read the results from Gnus.  You must set up an nnml
server:

    {nnml:mairix}

that knows were to find the mail folder that mairix populates with
the matching messages.  Then this folder is available in the *Group*
buffer, or at least subscribable.

Don't give up, although it's a bit hairy, it's worth the trouble.  The
Info pages are quite helpful.

Good luck,

Michael.