Re: Useful elisp I wrote, send-region-to-shell-mode

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: Useful elisp I wrote, send-region-to-shell-mode
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:59:03 +0100

Hello Ian,

Ian Kelling <ianowl@gmail.com> writes:

> I just switched over to shell-mode and definitely recommend it over
> a normal terminal in general.

I'm curious about this. I tried several times to use a shell in emacs
instead of a terminal, and I have always gone back. The main two reasons
I could not keep using them are some incompatibilities with some shells
(I use fish, for instance, which can only run in ansi-term, and even
there it's not perfect), and window management (having a quick access
to a shell window). Do you have tips for using a shell in emacs? In
particular, what shell do you run?

> This elisp seems to fill in an obviously missing piece of integration
> with emacs. It's currently too hackish to recommend for going into
> emacs, but I figured I would share and see if anyone had feedback or
> found it useful. I'll post this it on the emacs wiki as well.

This is very nice, thanks for sharing. I often use org-mode when
developing scripts, but this could be a useful alternative.

Best,

Alan