Re: How to propose an emacs patch (Re: replacing a function with another

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: How to propose an emacs patch (Re: replacing a function with another one)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 08:51:20 +0530

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

>> Where there is a will there is a way.
>
> Asking here how best to go about it is a start ...  It seems they need
> some sort of paperwork from contributers for copyright reasons, and I
> don`t know how to propose a patch or if such paperwork is needed for
> that.

You need to come to emacs-devel.  Second best option is to put it on
emacs-bugs.  Just say that you are proposing a patch and would like to
have it as part of Emacs.  Folks there will do the rest.

If you are new (or relatively new) to that list someone would respond
very quickly so that you feel quite welcome.  But as time progresses -
as you become a old timer - you may have to wait anywhere from few days
to few months for someone to turn attention to your work.

Emacs repo is quite big.  I suggest that you use git (and not bzr) for
cloning your repo.  You can find instructions here:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs

Remember you don't need to clone the repo for proposing a patch.  You
download JUST the relevant file from the Web Interface.  You make a copy
of it and make changes to it.  And then submit the diff between the
files.

emacs-devel:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel

emacs-bugs:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs

emacs-sources.

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-emacs-sources/
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.sources

You can more information about emacs and the mailing list in this page.

    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
    https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs