no autocomplete with auto-complete-mode

From: strattonbrazil
Subject: no autocomplete with auto-complete-mode
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running emacs 24 in Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm not seeing any autocompletion
following the installation guide.  I can see the "AC" in the buffer when I
enable the mode, but nothing pops up.

http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/manual.html#Check

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the Ubuntu menu system as I've seen
it screw up other menus.  Or I'm just not testing it correctly in scratch.  I'm
just trying to type things like "(defun", but don't see anything pop up.