Re: indexing files?

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: indexing files?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 00:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:31:06 PM UTC+5:30, Martin wrote:
> Rusi writes:

> > Now I prefer recoll
> > [I forget the reasons for not liking tracker -- sorry!]

> As I can see, there is only helm-recoll in the packages here.  but i
> don't figure out how it works.  Do you have any config hints for me?

> Doing M-x helm-recoll asks for a search query, but giving that nothing
> happens (no buffer with results will be opened).

> Any hints?

Sorry I didnt make it clear -- this is not in emacs.
Yes there is helm-recoll -- but Ive not tried it

I just use recoll at the command line (or Alt-F2)

Also for simple file-name searching locate works good
And works well inside emacs (M-x locate )

Both locate and recoll need a make/update index step which is

- cpu and time intensive
- tends to get stale

My vague recollection is that tracker does this automatically but I found it
too intrusive.