Re: Use nxml mode, but without the auto formatting

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Use nxml mode, but without the auto formatting
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:09:58 -0400

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't experimented further yet, but it was not clear from your
>> helpful response if you have actually tried the unformatted and
>> formatted versions and found they both work, or not.
>
> I haven’t and I can’t, as I don’t have Xming or Windows. But if Xming
> treats equivalent forms of XML differently, it’s a bug in Xming, not
> Emacs. Similarly, if Xming writes out the wrong value for
> xsi:schemaLocation, it’s a bug in Xming.

OK, I get that.  What my post was asking wasn't anything about any
bugs anywhere... only how to open nXML files without emacs trying to
format them... but still have syntax highlighting.

I'm aware I can go to fundamental-mode to stop any formatting, but of
course, that also kills any syntax highlighting.

So, is there some kind of mode that kills all attempts at formatting, yet
provides syntax highlighting.  Or maybe just how to turn on syntax
highlight for nXML but stay in fundamental-mode?