porting crufty old init.el to package management

From: Tom Roche
Subject: porting crufty old init.el to package management
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:37:26 -0400

I've been using emacs for ~20 years, during which I have

1. accumulated a functional but aesthetically- and maintenance-challenged
collection of {init.el, files it calls}
2. regularly bemoaned the lack of emacs package management

The latter problem has been solved (non-uniquely :-) for awhile now, and I'm
setting up a new box, so I really should port my emacs configuration to the new
millenium. I'm wondering, would anyone care to recommend especially worthy docs
for this process (guides, howto's, tutorials)? esp how best to accommodate
snippets of elisp (gists?)

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>