Re: porting crufty old init.el to package management

From: Fabrice Niessen
Subject: Re: porting crufty old init.el to package management
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:13:08 +0100

Hi Guido,

> Fabrice Niessen <fni-news@pirilampo.org> writes:
>>
>> My example?  Follow http://www.pirilampo.org/emacs/dot-emacs.html [1].
>
> My emacs needs eleven seconds to process one single down error while
> still in the opening comments area of emacs-leuven.txt.
>
> This is on an iMac 27-Inch, late 2009, with
> - Processor:  2,66 GHz Intel Core i5
> - Memory:  8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
>
> Not the latest nor the fastest, but still, not a simple toy neither.
>
> What behemoth are you using to edit emacs-leuven.txt?

I do have a 1y old laptop (i7 @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM).

But, before, I had a 5y old laptop, and did not experience any trouble,
except that everything was _a bit_ slower.

Do you get a backtrace of the error?  With which Emacs (I'm using
24.3.50.1).

Please note that I associated every .txt file with Org mode:

    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.txt\\'" . org-mode))

Best regards,
Fabrice

--
Fabrice Niessen