Re: How to have two parallel emacs environments?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to have two parallel emacs environments?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:54:04 +0100

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Michael Heerdegen
> <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
>> Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there any way to launch an emacs with a specific init file?
>>
>> I would do emacs -q -l /path/to/init-file
>>

> Also the -u option could be an option to specify a per-user init file.
> Or specifying a switch-function to call on startup in order to
> configure the whole editor differently?

If you load different configurations from ~/.emacs, you may want to set
custom-file to tell emacs where to store the customizations.

For example, I have this in my ~/.emacs:

;; […]
(let ((configuration (find-configuration (hostname))))
  (if configuration
      (let ((file (file-truename (cdr configuration))))
        (load file)
        ;; setting custom-file needs to be done after we've customized our stuff
        ;; otherwise it may be overridden with an empty customization.
        (setq custom-file (or file custom-file)))
      (message "Found no configuration to load for %s" (hostname))))

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/