Re: emacs, jumping to relative file locations in compiler output.

From: glen stark
Subject: Re: emacs, jumping to relative file locations in compiler output.
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:26:30 GMT

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:14:57 +0000, glen stark wrote:

> In the company I'm working for, the build system is set up to cd in
> various directories, and the call make.    When a compiler error is
> returned, it is of the form:
>
> In file included from ../../../../include/whatever.h:33:0
>
> emacs is then unable to determine where to look for the file in
> question.
>
> Changing out build system is big project, but I'd like to be able to
> jump around to compiler errors in emacs.  In practice I know what path I
> should substitute for "../../../../"
>
> Is there someway I can tell emacs to regex substitute a fixed path for a
> string of the form "../../"?
>
> Is there an alternative solution to my problem (that doesn't mean
> modifying the build system :) ).
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Glen

Sorry, I have a follow up:

After reading more on the subject, I think the path is not the issue.  We
are outputing "Entering X" and "Leaving x" messages, so I guess emacs
should be able to handle this.

  The problem might be that the string with the error looks like this:
EE=../../../../include/Check.h: In function 'Bool check::isNull(UShort)':

If I look at plain old g++ output, I don't see the EE.  So perhaps this
is the problem?