Problems installing downloaded ELPA tar file(s) of magit on Win7 Enterpr

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Problems installing downloaded ELPA tar file(s) of magit on Win7 Enterprise
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:56:25 +0100

I have to download the .tar files from ELPA archives separately and
install them locally.

However, when I try
 M-x package-install-file
I get the error message:
 package-read-from-string: Can't read whole string

I first tried this without tar being available, so I downloaded GnuWin32
tar and copied the .exe and .dll files into emacs-24.3\bin and then
tried again, but got the same error message.

The only match on google, is this thread
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-11/msg00025.html
and this thread doesn't have any concrete solutions, except for hinting
at using CygWin tar instead of GnuWin32 tar.

Does anyone know if this is fixable, and if so, how to fix it?

Platform:
 Windows 7 Enterprise
 GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
 Library is file c:/ProgramFiles/emacs-24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.elc

Packages tried:
 magit-1.2.0.tar (from marmalade)
 magit-20140326.1700.tar (from melpa)