Re: For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?...

From: Dan.Espen
Subject: Re: For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?...
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 09:47:44 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org>
>> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 05:08:14 -0400
>>
>> For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?... besides using
>> the tilde as alternative, for example ~words in italics~
>
> Plain-text email cannot express typefaces.

However, underscore does do _underlines_.
I believe slashes do the /italics/.

Just surround the text with either underlines or slashes.
Asterisks are meant for bold, but GNUS doesn't do that,
it's too easy to bold things you don't want bolded.

Well, if I recall right, it does do *bold*,
but it leaves the asterisks visible.

--
Dan Espen