Re: I'm looking for a project management system for Emacs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a project management system for Emacs
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 19:21:29 +0100

Dnia 2014-03-29, o godz. 08:22:55
Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> napisaƂ(a):

> > I'm looking for a project management system in Emacs...
> Icicles offers several features that you can use in various ways to
> support various definitions of projects and project management.
> This page is a good starting point to info about some of these.  It
> also points to info about using Dired and Emacs bookmarks for
> project definition and management.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Support_for_Projects

Thanks!  From a quick glance I can see that Icicles is (are?)
incompatible with Ido.  I'd like to ask "which is better", but this is
probably not a good idea;), so let me ask: are there any people here
who switched from Ido to Icicles?  If yes, why?  (I've been using Ido
for only a few months now, but I find it indispensable.  OTOH, I
probably use only a small fraction of its features.  And it is well
possible that Icicles will give me all I need from Ido.)

> Others will perhaps provide info about all-in-one predefined
> approaches.  Icicles, Bookmark+, and Dired+ offer instead a
> toolbox of features that you can put to use as you like.

A toolbox of features to combine into a tailor-made solution is fine
for me.  Especially that my requirements might not be exactly common
(especially the scattering of the "project" files around many
directories).

> See also the EmacsWiki CategoryProject page, which is a table of
> contents for the wiki pages about project-mgt support.  It is a
> good starting place when thinking about defining projects and
> your own project-management system:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryProject

I've seen that page, and that's why I wrote here: I hoped for a
positive number of answers taking into account /my/ requirements;).

Regards,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University