Re: SSH URL

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: SSH URL
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 19:48:00 +0200

>> In Emacs, I usually open ssh sessions like this:
>> cd /ssh:foo@baz:~
>> Is there any way in Emacs to open up SSH URLs', like this?:
>> ssh://foo:bar@baz
>
> It should not be terribly hard to add support for the ssh protocol to
> the URL library and to the url-handlers.el (using Tramp underneath,
> obviously).

Tramp has denied to add passwords to the file name syntax so far, for
security reasons. I don't believe that I would like to change this policy.

But one could use other means, like password-cache or an own backend for
auth-sources. Both would be transparent to Tramp.

Tramp did support URL file name syntax until Sep 2013. It was dropped
then due to lack of interest ...

I'm undecided yet, but maybe I could start to reenable this, starting
from url-handlers.el. However, this package is dav-centric; I don't know
what it does take to generalize it.

And I would need more encouragement from other people, given that
Tramp's URL implementation was completely ignored ...

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.