Custom keybinding getting over-ridden in python mode

From: Roy Smith
Subject: Custom keybinding getting over-ridden in python mode
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:53:21 -0400

I have two Ubuntu Precise boxes that are both running GNU Emacs 23.3.1.  I have
the same init.el file on both boxes, which contains, among other things, the
binding:

(global-set-key "\C-cm" 'compile)

On one machine (the one I've been running for a couple of years), this works in
all modes.  On the new machine that I just set up, the keybinding seems to get
lost in Python mode.  When I type C-C m, it echos "C-c m-" at the bottom of the
screen and waits for more input. It works fine in other modes, and M-X compile
works in python mode.

Any clue what might be different between the two boxes which is causing this
behavior?

---
Roy Smith
roy@panix.com