Re: Build emacs on debian

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Build emacs on debian
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:49:51 -0400

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
>>> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.
>>
>> The easiest thing is to start with whatever the Debian packager
>> thought was needed for the Debian package.
>>
>>   # apt-get build-dep emacs24
>>
>> That will install the build dependencies as declared in the packaged
>> files.  You might want something more or less but that is a good start.
>
> Thanks for the trusty good input sir.
>
> I think you may have given that same answer some mnths ago.  Sorry to
> be a pest. This one goes in the emacs notes db.

Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why:
 sudo apt-get build-dep emacs24

  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
something else going on.

cat source.list:
  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
  deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free