Re: upcase-word, &c. for non-latin alphabets

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: upcase-word, &c. for non-latin alphabets
Date: 10 Apr 2014 00:38:24 GMT

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
>> Date: 9 Apr 2014 15:52:04 GMT
>>
>> I'd like to be able use the upcase/downcase/capitalize-word functions
>> (or equivalents) for non-Latin alphabets (utf-8 encoding).  Can anyone
>> give me any hints on how to go about it?
>
> Just use M-u, M-l, and M-c.  Emacs already knows about all the
> alphabets it supports (which is all of the Unicode).

I thought I tried it and it didn't work, but on retrying, I see that
is does work, partially.  I.e., some letters change case, but not
others.  The alphabet I'm working with is fairly exotic, viz. Coptic,
so I'm not supprised there are problems (in fact I'm surprised it
works even partially), so perhaps this qualifies as a bug?

I'm curious though, since upcase-word &al. are built-in, does that
mean that that the base Emacs code contains enormous correspondance
tables for the large number of Unicode code blocks that must exist?

--
Will