Re: undo: changes outside of visible portion of buffer

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: undo: changes outside of visible portion of buffer
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:56:39 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:07:26 +0800
>>
>> I'm trying to undo a fairly large chunk of text deletion, and emacs is
>> telling me:
>>
>> undo-more: Changes to be undone are outside visible portion of buffer
>>
>> I get this no matter where I scroll in the buffer -- it's only about
>> three screenfuls. I had undo-tree-mode active when I did the deletion,
>> but I get the same error whether it's active or no.
>>
>> I'd like this text back, and I don't care if it's not visible! I can't
>> find any switches that might allow me to circumvent the error -- what
>> options do I have here?
>
> I think "visible" here means the narrowed region, not visible on
> display.  Do you have any kind of narrowing in that buffer?  If so,
> try "M-x widen RET".

After I sent the message I had the same idea, and tried "widen", but it
didn't do anything. It was an emacs-lisp buffer, other minor modes in
effect were Magit auto revert, Paredit, ElDoc, Auto Complete, and Undo
Tree. I don't ever use narrowing manually, and I don't think any of
those minor modes would have done it automatically, so I don't know what
was going on. I think you must be right, though, that the error was
referring to narrowing.

After looking at the undo code, I did eventually get the text back (or
most of it) from pending-undo-list, though.

Hmm, I couldn't retrieve the five or six most recent lines -- I wonder
if I accidentally narrowed something before I typed those...