Re: Black Background with moe-dark

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Black Background with moe-dark
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:50:18 +0700

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a black background with moe-dark theme, but no matter
> what I try, it won't get any darker than this:
>
> https://raw.github.com/kuanyui/moe-theme.el/master/pics/dark01.png

Your screenshot shows Emacs running in tmux running in Konsole running
in X11. So there are quite a few layers of color translation.

I assume your X11 is capable of displaying 24-bit color.

Start a bare Konsole, without tmux inside. Run the following two
commands and check that their output matches:

$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color

$ tput colors
256

If that says 8 or 16, you are limited to the colors that are
configured in your Konsole profile. Find out how to set up Konsole to
display 256 colors. (This might be as easy as exporting the
environment variable TERM=xterm-256color in your .bashrc.)

Start tmux. Now, run the same two commands and check their output:

$ echo $TERM
screen-256color

$ tput colors
256

If that says 8 or 16, find out how to set up tmux to display 256
colors. (On my system, this needs “set -g default-terminal
"screen-256color"” in my .tmux.conf.)

Once both Konsole and tmux correctly support 256 colors, there remains
the issue of color matching. The 256-color terminal palette contains
16 entries that are mapped to the standard 16 colors. Most terminal
emulators allow configuring the exact shades of these; not all let
applications know which exact colors are configured. So Emacs may
think #000000 is palette index 0, but in reality index 0 might be set
up for a dark gray.